Monday, September 17, 2007

Meeting the midwife

Today was my appointment with our midwife, Joanne. She is amazing and I am so glad that we have the opportunity to choose the type of care that we prefer. I will meet with her for an hour once a month until 32 weeks. Then, I'll go once every 2 weeks until 36 weeks when I'll see her every week. She will be with us throughout the whole labour and delivery. And, once the baby is born, she does home visits at 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, and 6 weeks old!!! Sounds pretty good to me. :)

I know my Mom has expressed concern over the fact that I don't have a MD so I am also looking into getting a family doctor who sees maternity patients and will be able to take care of both myself and the baby after our care with the midwife ends.

The appointment today was mostly for Joanne to take a family history and ask about any medical "issues" that I may have....thankfully, I am boring!!! and have nothing interesting at all, which will hopefully make this whole experience go smoothly. *fingers crossed*

Joanne used her doppler to try and find the baby's heartbeat but didn't have any luck. She said that she "felt really close to finding it," but it was probably still too early. However, she did hear my pulse with it, so good news: I'm alive! ;)

2 comments:

Di said...

YEAH!! I'm glad that you like your midwife - pardon my ignorance but does that mean you aren't having the baby in the hospital? - like you are going to do this at home in the bathtub or however that whole situation happens? Take Care Love Ya

Sandy and Allison said...

LOL! Yep, if I had it *my* way, I would see how everything went and then try for a home birth. But, Sandy vetoed that plan before I could even finish explaining it! I can understand his worry though.

So, we'll have the baby at the hospital with the midwife. She has hospital privileges so will be our main caregiver, but there will be all kinds of doctors just a moment's notice away in case we need them.

Thanks for the comment!!! My very first one....yay! :)