Friday, January 4, 2008

News from midwife appointment yesterday

I had an appointment with Joanne yesterday. Overall, it was okay. Baby is still growing well and my measurements are right on track. The baby's heart rate was 156 beats per minute (same as always!). My blood pressure is good and my uterus feels very healthy and toned (I have no idea what that feels like, but I know it's a good thing!)

However, I had the joy of weighing myself and found out that I had a huge weight gain over the past four weeks --- 12 pounds to be exact! YIKES! My total gain for the whole pregnancy is 18 pounds, so Joanne wasn't concerned at all. I definitely enjoyed lots of yummy food over Christmas holidays, but I think it's time to get back to eating only healthy foods with an occasional treat instead of the other way around!

During my examination, Joanne noticed that my stomach muscles are starting to separate around my belly button (a condition that can occur during pregnancy called diastasis rectus). She wasn't concerned about it and just said that I should be more careful about getting up properly. I am supposed to roll off the couch or bed and not use my tummy muscles to pull myself up. Also, I shouldn't be lifting anything heavy...sounds good to me!

Of course, I came home and googled this condition and found all kinds of scary horror stories on the internet to sufficiently scare me into a state of panic. So, I called Joanne this morning to go over it again. She said that right now, I have a mild case and if I'm careful, it may correct itself during pregnancy and if it doesn't, there are exercises that I can do after the baby is born that will pull the muscles back together. She said I can continue curling, going to aerobics, and going to yoga --- just to listen to my body and only do what feels okay.

Guess I'll just have to remind myself that I am *actually* pregnant and need to take it easy every once in a while. ;)

No comments: