Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What a difference!

I recently read an article online that said a newborn's awake period should only be about 60 minutes. When a baby is one month old, his awake period increases to 75 minutes. As babies get bigger, their awake period increases by about 15-20 minutes ... up until about 6 months.

I decided to try this out, so yesterday after Grady had been awake for an hour, I swaddled him up into a baby burrito and fed him in a quiet room. It only took 5-10 minutes for him to fall fast asleep! During the day, his naps were shorter (about 60 - 90 minutes) than they have been, but he woke up happy and stayed happy for the whole hour.

Here is where the best part comes in: last night he slept so well! He slept for three hours straight, three times (from 11pm-2am, 3am-6am, and 7am-10am). I stayed in bed and slept the same amount and I feel so great this morning. What a difference a good sleep makes!

I don't know how long this sleep "program" will last, but I am definitely going to enjoy it for now.

(Oh, and the spitting up has drastically decreased. I think that I was just feeding him too much! Since he was staying awake for too long, he was getting fussy because he was tired and thinking that he was hungry when really he just needed a nap ... that's my theory for now anyway ... we'll see how long it lasts!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's my picure for today?

Love,
Grandma Liz

Sandy and Allison said...

Ha, ha! I made up for it today :)